'The Voice' Results Are In: Did Nicholas David Deserve to Win?
It was a tight race between the former Eagan resident and soul singer Nicholas David and Cassadee Pope and Terry McDermott on the NBC television talent show.
(UPDATE Dec. 18, 10 p.m.): Eagan native, hometown hero and reality TV star and musician Nicholas David was named third place on "The Voice" Tuesday night.
A longtime judge's favorite, David was announced as the third place winner behind Terry McDermott, who took second place, and winner Cassadee Pope.
Indications earlier in the day—namely the iTunes sales chart, which showed David in a distant third by virtue of his music sales in comparison to the other two—were that he would not likely take the grand prize.
That didn't stop the judge's ongoing praise.
Adam Levine called his performance Monday night "his favorite moment of the night." And his coach, CeeLo Green, said "He's an exceptional voice and an exceptional person."
(UPDATE Dec. 18, 12 p.m.): The voting is done. The results will be announced in the final episode of the Voice season tonight at 7 p.m., but if the iTunes charts are any indication, it's going to be a close battle for Eagan's Nicholas David.
As of 12 p.m., Nicholas' performance of "Great Balls of Fire" was ranked as the 15th most purchased song on iTunes within the past 24 hours. His competitors' songs — "Cry" by Cassadee Pope, and "Broken Wings" by Terry McDermott—cracked the top 10.
Songs that make the top 10 in sales receive additional votes when determining the winner.
(Dec. 17, 7:30 p.m.) You know him, you love him, and now—more than ever, if you want to see him crowned champion—you need to vote for him.
"The Voice" contestant Nicholas Mrozinski threw his knockout punch—performing a medley of "Great Balls of Fire" by Jerry Lee Lewis and "Fire" by Jimi Hendrix—in the final performance for the show before the winner is announced tomorrow night.
Celebrity judge Adam Levine praised the performance—particularly because it was clearly a risk in the final round. "This is the first time I've seen someone this late in the game be irreverent," Levine said. "We sometimes forget this is so entertaining. You entertained this crowd."
Judge Blake Shelton told David: "Tonight is a celebration. You made it one."
And David's coach, CeeLo Green, praised the performance up and down. "Sometimes we forget how fun this is supposed to be," CeeLo said. "Your honesty is always appreciated, your humility is always inspiring, but your fire tonight burned this house down. I'm forever a fan of yours Nick."
Mrozinski, who goes by the stage name Nicholas David, is a former Eagan resident who fought his way into the Top 3 on "The Voice", a televised singing competition that airs on Monday and Tuesday evenings.
On Tuesday, a winner will be chosen in the show's two-hour finale. The winner of the competition is awarded a recording contract.
To vote for Nicholas David, votes can be cast by going directly to the NBC "The Voice" website, or by going to iTunes and purchasing the song, or by calling 1-855-Voice-01.
Want to read more about Nicholas David, a former Eagan resident and contestant on NBC's "The Voice"? Check out the links below:
- VIDEO: Contestant with Eagan Roots Performs on NBC's "The Voice"
- Television Appearance on 'The Voice' Brings Whirlwind of Fame for Musician With Eagan Roots
- VIDEO: Mrozinski, Artist with Eagan Roots, Advances on NBC's "The Voice"
- VIDEO: Mrozinski Defeats Another Competitor in Knockout Round on NBC's "The Voice"
- VIDEO: One-Time Eagan Resident Strikes the Right Chord on "The Voice"
- Mrozinski Voted into the Top 12 on NBC's "The Voice"
- Join the Nicholas David Fan Club Online!
- VIDEO: Nicholas David Talks About Special Bond with Cee Lo, Fan Reactions
- Nicholas David Makes the Cut on NBC's "The Voice", Voted into Top 10
- Cheer On NBC Star Nicholas David at Special Eagan Viewing Party on Monday
- Nicholas David's Rise to Fame on NBC's The Voice Stuns Family and Friends
- LIVE from Eagan: Family Cheered as Nicholas David Belted Out Strong Performance on 'The Voice'
- Show Your Support: How Can I Vote for Nicholas David on NBC's "The Voice"?
- Parent's Talk: Nicholas David on 'The Voice': Pride of Minnesota Parents
- PHOTOS: Eagan's Nicholas David Receives a Warm Reception From Hometown Fans
- VIDEO: Nicholas David's "The Voice" Performance Draws Tears from Cee Lo Green
- VIDEO: Nicholas David's Semifinals Performance Packs a Punch
- VIDEO: Mrozinski Family Reacts to Nicholas David's "Lean on Me" Performance
- VIDEO: Nicholas David Makes Surprise Announcement on "The Voice"
- Did Eagan's Nicholas David Make the Cut on NBC's "The Voice"?
- Nicholas David's Parents: Our Son Just Wants to Get His Message Out
- And the Top 4 Singers on NBC's "The Voice" Are ... ?
- "The Voice" Star Nicholas David Performing at the Mall of America on Thursday
- VIDEO: What Do Fans Think of Nicholas David?
- PHOTOS: Eagan Mayor Declares Nicholas David "The Voice of Eagan"
- VIDEO: Nicholas David Performs in Front of Hundreds at Mall of America