Nicholas Mrozinski's parents, David and Jennifer Mrozinski, were nervous.
It was Tuesday afternoon, just hours before their son was expected to appear alongside seven other contestants on NBC's "The Voice" for a special elimination round. Two contestants were going home that night, and no one knew Nicholas' fate.
Jennifer admitted that she sometimes gets stomach aches before each episode airs. David, a sales representative at Loffler Companies in Bloomington, said he checks the iTunes sales charts "almost every hour" to see how his son's songs are selling. The charts are a good indicator of success or failure on the show, he believes.
The last several months—culminating in the ongoing live elimination rounds—have been a roller coaster ride of excitement for the family as Nicholas, an eccentric, soulful singer, has progressed through the ranks on "The Voice". The televised singing competition airs on Mondays and Tuesdays and features four celebrity coaches, Cee Lo Green, Blake Shelton, Christina Aguilera and Adam Levine.
But David and Jennifer's nervousness is replaced by pride when they start talking about Nicholas' accomplishments.
Jennifer, a firm believer in the idea that children be allowed to dabble and explore in any activity that interests them, enrolled Nicholas in piano in second grade. Nicholas' interest in music and other forms of artistic expression only grew from there, the couple said.
Nicholas' musical tastes broadened as he got older, and he began collecting Bob Marley, Green Day, Nine Inch Nails, Frank Sinatra and Kurt Cobain cassette tapes—or anything else he could get his hands on, David remembered.
In 10th grade, the budding musician surprised his parents when he asked to be enrolled in voice lessons. Jennifer, who set up Nicholas' first lesson, remembers asking the voice teacher to "be honest" about her son's ability.
After the lesson, the teacher stopped out to meet Jennifer.
"He came out, and I said 'What do you think,'" Jennifer said. "He said, 'Yes, I want him.'"
Nicholas' first public debut as a musician came that same year, when he performed "Piano Man" in a school-wide performance at Eagan High School, David said.
“After he got done, everyone in the audience stood up and cheered and cheered. They were like, who is this kid?” David said. "It still gives me the chills to think about. We recognized at that time that there was something special here."
David and Jennifer, regular viewers of shows like "American Idol," always thought their son should try out to be a contestant, but Nicholas was reluctant because it wasn't "his style", David said.
That changed when Nicholas and his father drove out to Chicago in a snowstorm to audition for "The Voice".
David, waiting outside while tryouts progressed, remembers when his son came "bouncing out" of the door with a piece of paper in his hand. The paper was a letter of interest, and weeks later Nicholas got a call from a Voice representative asking him to audition once more. After the executive callback, Nicholas proceeded on to the blind auditions.
"We all got the goosebumps," David said.
For many years, Nicholas has been a regular singing at local musical—bars, corporate parties and other events. But the artist wants to take his music to the next level, David said.
Nicholas' involvement on "The Voice" has given him an unprecedented amount of exposure and allowed him to rub elbows with the likes of Cee Lo Green, Bill Withers and other famous musicians.
But through it all, Nicholas—who took on the nickname "The Feelin'" in high school for his emotive singing—has just wanted to get his message out, David said.
“He’s spiritual, and he has a message, and that’s what he said earlier: 'My message is to heal and give hope," said David, who believes the show is his son's 'breakout' moment.
"Everything that he has put into this, it's just an amazing thing, what he's getting out," Jennifer said.
Want to read more about Nicholas David, a former Eagan resident and contestant on NBC's "The Voice"? Check out the links below:
- VIDEO: Contestant with Eagan Roots Performs on NBC's "The Voice"
- Television Appearance on 'The Voice' Brings Whirlwind of Fame for Musician With Eagan Roots
- VIDEO: Mrozinski Defeats Another Competitor in Knockout Round on NBC's "The Voice"
- Mrozinski Voted into the Top 12 on NBC's "The Voice"
- Join the Nicholas David Fan Club Online!
- Cheer On NBC Star Nicholas David at Special Eagan Viewing Party on Monday
- Nicholas David's Rise to Fame on NBC's The Voice Stuns Family and Friends
- LIVE from Eagan: Family Cheered as Nicholas David Belted Out Strong Performance on 'The Voice'
- Show Your Support: How Can I Vote for Nicholas David on NBC's "The Voice"?
- Parent's Talk: Nicholas David on 'The Voice': Pride of Minnesota Parents
- PHOTOS: Eagan's Nicholas David Receives a Warm Reception From Hometown Fans
- VIDEO: Nicholas David's "The Voice" Performance Draws Tears from Cee Lo Green
- VIDEO: Nicholas David's Semifinals Performance Packs a Punch
- VIDEO: Mrozinski Family Reacts to Nicholas David's "Lean on Me" Performance
- VIDEO: Nicholas David Makes Surprise Announcement on "The Voice"
- Did Eagan's Nicholas David Make the Cut on NBC's "The Voice"?