CSM vice president Thomas Palmquist told the paper that Whole Foods, Trader Joes, as well as other grocery businesses are on the list of stores that the company is considering for the space.
Patch asked readers which store they would like to see at the site: Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.
Readers responded on Patch and especially on Facebook. Here's a sampling of the responses.
Several readers cast their vote for Trader Joe's.
- Julie J.: Trader Joe's please!
- Kathy B.: trader joes....trader joes....trader joes
- Nicholas G.: Yes to Trader Joes!
- Julie H. M.: Byerlys and Rainbow must be thrilled about the prospect of Whole Foods across the street! Trader Joes would be a better fit...
- Carrie-Ann C.: Would be so happy for a Trader Joe's!
Other readers preferred Whole Foods:
- Jackson E.: Whole Foods Market: yes please!!!
- Doreen L.: I keep hoping Whole Foods will come to my town.
- Lisa M. R.: Whole Foods!
While others went with a "yes," or "both" response:
- Angie M.: Yes yes yes!!
- Dana O.: I would love either one!!!
- Diane F.: Yes....both?!
Not everyone was excited about the plans:
- Melinda L.: no
- Jeff C.: No!
- Katie J.: No. Eagan already has 5 grocery stores, with two being right by that location. Another one is likely to put one of the five out of business.
A few said that parking, walkability or other considerations should be included in the plans:
- Jen J. H.: YES!!!! PLEASE a trader joes. However, i think the traffic implications will be significant and a review of the pilot knob/yankee doodle intersection will be required.
- Joanne S.: Yes please. And I agree with the writer above about the traffic issues that may result. I am sure a good plan could be worked out with a good deal of thought, planning and community input.
- Suz H.: Yes! Maybe the entrances could be from the other sides, not Pilot Knob?
- Robert A.: As home owners across the street from the old Lockheed Martin site – it’s important that whatever is built there compliments the beautiful walking/biking trails across the street near the Eagan Community center. My family frequents those trials and the park with our 2 yr old son and it would be great if they could accentuate that experience by developing a quaint retail/restaurant space that still promoted/provided a welcoming area for families and the communities to gather in their spare time.... (Read the full comment on Facebook).
There were also suggestions for other stores:
- Kelly M. J.: I would love for the small Eagan Target on Cliff to expand there into a Super Target. Also, put in a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods with it. Now that would be one stop shopping. Why not add Costco in there too? Space seems big enough!
- Sarah W.: Super Target!!! I hate that Walmart ends up being my choice because of convenience
- Emily G.: Co-op!