Veterans Day, Nov. 11, falls on a Sunday this year. That means some city offices, services and local businesses will be closed Sunday, while others will be closed Monday.
Veteran Day "originated as 'Armistice Day' on Nov. 11, 1919, the first anniversary of the end of World War I, according to the U.S. Census website. "Congress passed a resolution in 1926 for an annual observance, and Nov. 11 became a national holiday beginning in 1938. President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed legislation in 1954 to change the name to Veterans Day as a way to honor those who served in all American wars."
- Wescott Library in Eagan will be closed on Monday, Nov. 12, in observance of Veterans Day, as will all other Dakota County Library branches.
- The Eagan Community Center will hold regular hours from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Sunday and 5:45 a.m. to 9:45 p.m. on Monday.
- The city of Eagan will also observe Veterans Day on Monday. City offices will be closed all day.
- Veterans Day is recognized as a federal holiday, which means all non-essential federal offices will be closed.
- Some private businesses are traditionally closed on Veterans Day, so be sure to check our business listings to get their phone number and call before you head out.
- Metro Transit will run on Sunday and Monday.