Eagan is rich with big box retailers and national chains. It also harbors a bounty of locally-owned and operated stores and business. Saturday is being promoted nationally as Small Business Saturday, a chance to inject the local economy by patronizing local businesses.
Below is a random sampling of local businesses in Eagan, but it's hardly a complete list. What's your favorite local business? Where are you planning to 'shop small' on Saturday? Give a shout out to your favorite in our comments section and let everyone know what they sell or do and why they're great.
- Hallmark of Cliff Lake is locally owned and operated by Ron Rasmusson. Hallmark Cards specializes in giving words to our feelings through greeting cards. Additionally, Hallmark offers calendars, ornaments, keepsake albums and frames, party supplies and gift items.
- Unique, local and personalized are three words that would describe this 15-year-old Eagan gift shop. Owner and Eagan resident, Mary Jo Koski, has used her fashion merchandising background to design an interesting and inviting store in which to shop for just the right gift item from their selection of unique and trendy plates and platters, clothing, baby items, kitchen wares and funky home decor items.
- Mind's Eye Comics is a store that sells new comics as well as books, action figures, posters, t-shirts. HeroClix and Magic: The Gathering available in packs (not singles). This small retail location is in the Thomas Lake shopping center.
- When Scuba Center was established in 1973 it became Minnesota's first PADI 5-star scuba diving training school. The facility has a pool, training rooms and a retail store. Scuba Center offers training for everyone from beginners to advanced, rescue training to airline employees, fire departments, military personnel and the government. Scuba and snorkeling accessories.
- This woman-owned, award-winning business will design a customized basket, or customers may order from the more than 50 baskets featured on the company's website. Mary O'Rourke has been designing distinctive gift baskets for individuals and corporate clients for more than 15 years. Whether customers are looking for a care package for a college student, a baby shower gift or a thank you basket for a corporate client, Baskets on Occasion has something for everyone.
- Gift Garden and Home is a rare boutique store that offers a wide variety of high-quality items for gifts, garden and home. New items arrive weekly, providing an exciting shopping experience every time you visit.
- Color Me Mine is a bright and fun paint-it-yourself ceramics studio that offers customers a chance to explore their creative side. This shop has over 400 pieces of unfinished ceramic to choose from, giving customers a wide range of options and price points. Pieces are fired in the shops own kiln on premises.
- Erik's Bike Shop, locally and privately-owned and operated, is the Midwest's bike & board expert. Erik's offers bikes, skateboards, skis, apparel and accessories. Additionally, Erik's provides bike assembly and repair, tire and tube recycling and much more. Bring in a used bike for credit towards a new one.
- Parents looking to give their wallets a break will be happy to discover Kids Carousel, an Eagan store that buys and sells previously owned children's clothes, equipment, books, toys and furniture. Clothing for sale, in sizes newborn to youth size 12, includes sleepwear, costumes, boots and shoes. Equipment for sale includes strollers, high chairs, swings, bouncers, pack 'n plays and saucers. Children's furniture offered includes cribs, bassinets, toddler beds and changing tables. All furniture and equipment is for sale at no more than half of the new retail price. The store features weekly specials. The inventory changes daily and with the seasons.
– Waldeland Jewelers is a family-owned and operated upscale jewelry and gift store located in Duckwood Square. It is Laser Star Certified and specializes in customization, with services including on-site repair and appraisals, stone setting, custom carved jewelry, custom engraving, watch repair, pearl restringing and buying of gold.