UPDATE (9:20 p.m., Jan. 18, 2013): News outlets are reporting the car sunk near the bridge on County Road 44 as a couple and their two children were out on the lake.
A 9-month-old is in cricitcal condition as a result of the crash.
* * *
- Infant rescued from submerged car on Lake Minnetonka (KARE)
- Baby in Critical Condition after SUV Falls into Lake Minnetonka (KSTP)
- Authorities: Baby In Critical Condition After SUV Breaks Through Ice (WCCO)
- Car goes through the ice on Lake Minnetonka (KMSP)
- Baby critically hurt after SUV falls into Lake Minnetonka (Star Tribune)
- Lake Minnetonka: Baby 'critical' after SUV breaks through ice (Pioneer Press)
* * *
ORIGINAL POST (6:13 p.m., Jan. 18, 2013): There were some tense moments this afternoon on Lake Minnetonka after a woman and her child and two other passengers were rescued from their vehicle after the car left the roadway and broke through ice.
WCCO and KSTP.com both reported the car went through ice shortly after 5 p.m. this afternoon. KSTP states the incident happened on County Road 44 in Minnetrista, and four people have been taken to a local hospital after the incident.
A child was one of the passengers.
Mound and Minnetrista fire departments responded to the accident. Hennepin County Sheriff's Department officer and water patrol also were key in the rescue, according Patch contributor Police Clips, which posted about the incident shortly after 5 p.m.
Lake Minnetonka authorities just conducted an ice rescue last night as part of yearly preparation for just an incident.
Patch will have more on this story as it unfolds.