Police are now saying that it is likely that a University of Minnesota student was murdered in Rosemount on the day she went missing, Sept. 22, shortly after she witnessed a fatal shooting at a Burnsville bar.
Anarae Kristine Schunk, 20, is seen on surveillance video at Nina's Grill in Burnsville shortly before the death of Palagor Jobi, 23, of Savage. Jobi died of blood loss in the bar's parking lot after being shot eight times.
The prime suspect in the shooting is Schunk's ex-boyfriend, 31-year-old Shavelle Chavez-Nelson. He was arrested on Sept. 24 and charged with second-degree murder in the death of Jobi. His current girlfriend, Ashley Conrade, 24, has also been charged with aiding an offender for harboring Chavez-Nelson at her Rosemount townhouse.
Conrade said that she, Schunk and Chavez-Nelson fled the scene of the shooting in her car. Conrade told police that the trio went to her home in Rosemount, according to the criminal complaint, but there is no mention of what happened after they arrived.
Volunteers combed wooded areas in Dakota County for days searching for her body. Her remains were discovered this Monday, Sept. 30, by a Rice County maintenance worker cutting weeds in a ditch outside of Lonsdale.
According to Rosemount authorities, Schunk's death is "the first homicide to occur in the City of Rosemount since 2010."
The investigation into her death will be a treated as a separate and independent case from the murder in Burnsville. The Rosemount PD will be the lead agency, assisted by the Dakota County Sheriffs Office, the Burnsville Police Department, and the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.
The Rosemount PD also stated that the department would issue no further updates concerning this case until charges have been filed. By their estimation, it could take several weeks before the case is ready to submit to the Dakota County Attorney's Office.
Anyone who may have information pertaining to this investigation is encouraged to call the Dakota County Sheriffs Office tip line at 651-438-4720. Anonymous information can also be provided online at www.dakotacountvsheriff.org/etip.html.
Related at Eagan Patch
- Memorial for Anarae Schunk Planned for Sunday
- Body of Anarae Schunk Found in Lonsdale, Rosemount Police Confirm
- Updated: Body Found in Rural Lonsdale Could Be Anarae Schunk
- Suspect in Jobi Shooting, Schunk Disappearance Had History of Violent Crime
- With Word of Bloody Jacket, Searchers Seek Anarae Schunk's Body
- Anarae Schunk Is Dead, Police Tell Family
- Two Charged in Burnsville Homicide
- Reward Offered for Information Leading to Missing Student Last Seen in Burnsville
- Police Searching For Vehicle Used to Flee Homicide Scene
- Police Search for Missing Woman Last Seen with Homicide Suspect