A 15-year-old boy who allegedly brought a BB gun and knife to Eagan High School last week posed no threat to other students or staff at the school, according to police and school officials.
“A child made a mistake," Eagan High School Assistant Principal Peter Zak said on Thursday. The boy, who was released to his parents or guardian following the incident, will likely face criminal charges, according to Eagan Police Department spokeswoman Desiree Schroepfer.
Police were called to the school shortly after noon on Jan. 22 by members of the school administration, who received a tip about the weapons from another individual.
School officials removed the 15-year-old suspect from class, located the weapons and notified police, Zak said. At no point was the high school locked down because of the incident, Zak added.
Zak, citing student privacy restrictions, declined to comment on the student's motivations or intent. The student was also in possession of drug paraphernalia, according to a police report regarding the incident.
"We just want to stress that there was no concern for public safety in this instance, and there didn’t appear to be any threat," Schroepfer said.